Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tuktoyaktuk on Microsoft Streets and Trips

Over discussion at dinner last night, we have decided that we would like to go to Tuktoyaktuk, but we need to find out what the costs are to get from Inuvik to Tuk. The alternative plan, which sounds cool to me is to visit 2 locations on the Arctic Ocean, Tuk/Inuvik as one stop, and Deadhorse/Prudhoe as the second stop. The other decision was that we want to find different routes for the northbound and southbound legs of the trip. Still working this out, but it looks like may include a short ferry trip on the inside passage on the way up, perhaps Prince Rupert to Ketchikan, Petersburg, Juneau, and Haines. The returning on an inland road with no ferries. Also, we determined that we don't wan't to take the Alaska ferry from Bellingham, as that would be too much time on the boat, and having toured the Alaska Ferry that runs from Bellingham a couple of years ago, it is not the best option.

I ordered Microsoft Streets and Trips 2011 today, to use in planning the route. After reading several reviews, I decided to order the software only version without a GPS, as the reviews claim that the GPS included from Microsoft is not very good. I don't need the usb GPS to connect to the laptop at this point anyway since we are still many months away from the trip.

I last used the Streets and Trips 2005 version, and was very happy with it at that time. I hope that I am as pleased with the 2011 version.

The things that I want to be able to do with Streets and Trips 2011 are:
  • Printing large format maps. Hopefully I can print some maps at 24 x 48 inches or 24 x 36 inches. These would be nice to use for planning purposes.
  • Calculating routes, and providing driving directions when off line.
I will follow up later with details on how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment